Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: StatueThis is a featured thread

Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  | Next > Last
Mike1177

Mike1177
40. RE: Statue
Apr 4 2009, 11:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 4 2009, 11:06 PM EDT
I think Ben has a level of control with the Smoke Monster, or rather had a level of control. I think he can summon the monster, and put it back per se, but outside of that I think he may have an idea of what the Smoke monster is going to do, but I don't think he has control of what it is going to do.
Do you find this valuable?    
First_Marti
First_Marti
41. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 12:50 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 12:50 AM EDT
I kind of agree with you, but I think that Jacob has more control.
First_Marti
First_Marti
42. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 1:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 1:02 AM EDT
I know - I noticed the same thing, but we didn't see who did what earlier with ol Smokie. We did see it go after Locke, but other losties were able to pull him out from the waist up. Did you notice that the Smoke Monster only had a hold of his legs and let go of him when it got to his torsoe. I think that Jacob has more control. Jacob sees everything on and off the island. He selects the people he wants, and he probably knew about Locke's broken legs and back. That is one reason I think that the statue has more of a healing nature to it.
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
43. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 2:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 2:17 AM EDT
I can't figure what I think of Jacob, sometimes it's as if they make him out to be a deity or God... all powerful... yet he needs people to do his bidding like Ben? Is he so easily manipulated. They just haven't given me enough information on Jacob for me to form much of an opinion.
First_Marti
First_Marti
44. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 3:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 3:18 AM EDT
"I can't figure what I think of Jacob, sometimes it's as if they make him out to be a deity or God... all powerful... yet he needs people to do his bidding like Ben? Is he so easily manipulated. They just haven't given me enough information on Jacob for me to form much of an opinion."
You will meet him this next week, I believe. I thought it was going to be last week, but I was wrong. So, this should be the week. You will see him at James Ford's parents funeral, and you will see him when Locke Locke falls through the window after his father pushes him.
Beatrix25
Beatrix25
45. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 5:04 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 5:04 AM EDT
"Or maybe it's a God that Represents Death or Rebirth like - Anubis!!!!!!!!! or Isis!!!!!!!!!!

or maybe it's a combo of gods that bring Ben back
like in the pic below(cut and paste)

http://www.sexualfables.com/Isis-and-Aphrodite.php"
You know dihoos, I didn't want to say, but my nickname is Isis. A few years ago. I was in queens with my friends and this man who is very well known stylist there said to me "you look like an Isis". So after he said that, the name stuck. I researched her a bit through the years and It was always to my knowledge that Ra was Isis and osiris's father, they also had two siblings, one who was Set/Seth and Isis and Osiris has a child named Horus. Isis and Osiris were considered light and Set dark and evil and through jealousy of Osiris for having the love of Isis, Set killed him, and Osiris was the one who was resurrected and has the reference from The Book Of The Dead. Horus was the son of Isis and Osiris, which Horus is well known for The Eye Of Horus, also Horus was known to have killed Set. And as I recall Anubis was just another name for Osiris, which made them one. Could you clear this up for me, because to my knowledge Osiris and Anubis are one and I find it confusing.
dihoos
dihoos
46. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 9:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 11:10 AM EDT
"You know dihoos, I didn't want to say, but my nickname is Isis. A few years ago. I was in queens with my friends and this man who is very well known stylist there said to me "you look like an Isis". So after he said that, the name stuck. I researched her a bit through the years and It was always to my knowledge that Ra was Isis and osiris's father, they also had two siblings, one who was Set/Seth and Isis and Osiris has a child named Horus. Isis and Osiris were considered light and Set dark and evil and through jealousy of Osiris for having the love of Isis, Set killed him, and Osiris was the one who was resurrected and has the reference from The Book Of The Dead. Horus was the son of Isis and Osiris, which Horus is well known for The Eye Of Horus, also Horus was known to have killed Set. And as I recall Anubis was just another name for Osiris, which made them one. Could you clear this up for me, because to my knowledge Osiris and Anubis are one and I find it confusing."
Unfortunately Egyptian mythology lacks consistency (And that at best is an under-statement.) Many times their were different cults and sects that believed that Anubis and Osiris were the same god or that Ra and Osiris were one in the same. There is an inconsistent progression between the different dynasties as it relates to the Egyptian God. Which makes it very confusing to know whats what.That's why they probably chose an Egyptian God to make the four toed statue in to (to confuse the living shit outta everyone-gotta love those LOST writers)

Read below for further confusion?! There are 60ish deities most of which become combined and split up at some point or another.

(cut and paste)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_gods
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
47. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 3:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 3:30 PM EDT
LOL this is exactly why I stayed put lurking on this thread for the most part. I was never too knowledgeable of Egyptian deities. And when I do researach it, I always end up confusing myself.
dihoos
dihoos
48. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 5:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
"LOL this is exactly why I stayed put lurking on this thread for the most part. I was never too knowledgeable of Egyptian deities. And when I do researach it, I always end up confusing myself."
After sorting through it all the two that strike me as the most likley are Isis and Anubis
First_Marti
First_Marti
49. RE: Statue
Apr 5 2009, 8:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 8:26 PM EDT
dihoos - what gods and goddesses would continue on in history? I know they didn't end there in Egypt.
dihoos
dihoos
50. RE: Statue
Apr 8 2009, 10:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 8 2009, 10:07 PM EDT
"dihoos - what gods and goddesses would continue on in history? I know they didn't end there in Egypt. "
Many of the Egyptian Gods and Goddesses took on and continuesed being worship through the Gregor-Roman Gods Ra=Zeus Isis=Hera Anubis=Hades
dihoos
dihoos
51. RE: Statue
Apr 8 2009, 10:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 8 2009, 10:10 PM EDT
I feels so good to be right that it's Anubis, so good.
First_Marti
First_Marti
52. RE: Statue
Apr 8 2009, 11:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 8 2009, 11:20 PM EDT
"I feels so good to be right that it's Anubis, so good."
Yep - there was Anubis standing there next to the black smoke. So does that mean - the black smoke is Anubis? Not necessarily the statue?
dihoos
dihoos
53. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 6:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 6:14 AM EDT
ya but it makes more likley
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
54. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 12:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 12:28 PM EDT
"Yep - there was Anubis standing there next to the black smoke. So does that mean - the black smoke is Anubis? Not necessarily the statue?"
Still not all with it after this week so bear with me please... But I took it as Anubis or what the statue represents was being judged by the black smoke, or the black smoke and Anubis are against eachother about to face off, rather than the two being one in the same.

Kind of makes me wonder if that is figuratively showing Ben and Widmore, sparring about what is right and/or wrong for the island.
First_Marti
First_Marti
55. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 4:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 4:33 PM EDT
"ya but it makes more likley"
I think it makes the statue more likely to be Isis. Anibus (underground) Isis (above ground)
First_Marti
First_Marti
56. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 4:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 4:37 PM EDT
"Still not all with it after this week so bear with me please... But I took it as Anubis or what the statue represents was being judged by the black smoke, or the black smoke and Anubis are against eachother about to face off, rather than the two being one in the same.

Kind of makes me wonder if that is figuratively showing Ben and Widmore, sparring about what is right and/or wrong for the island."
I wondered that too - but then when I concentrated on the size and the direction Anubis was looking, it had to be Anubis. Now, I wonder - how did Ben get Widmore off the island? All the people there were his people, or was he told to leave the island by Anubis?
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
57. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 5:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 5:04 PM EDT
"I wondered that too - but then when I concentrated on the size and the direction Anubis was looking, it had to be Anubis. Now, I wonder - how did Ben get Widmore off the island? All the people there were his people, or was he told to leave the island by Anubis? "
Well first off are you considering the statue/Anubis, to be the smoke monster as well. I'm still regarding them separately, especially after seeing them in that picture Ben saw on the wall under the temple wall.

As for Ben getting Widmore off the island, as far as I could understand it seems that Ben summoned the smoke monster, and the smoke monster judged Widmore, exiling him from the island. What he was being judged for is what confused me. I know Ben and Widmore were having adverse opinions on what the island wants; Ben says the island wouldn't want to kill baby Alex, Widmore wants baby Alex dead. Yet Ben also mentions on the dock before Widmore is taken off island that Widmore had been off island frequently and had a daughter off island also. Do we know who Penny's mom is? Either way I am not sure which actions Widmore was being judged for. But I think it was the smoke monster's judgment that led to Widmore's exile, and Widmore holds Ben to blame.
First_Marti
First_Marti
58. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 5:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 5:59 PM EDT
"Well first off are you considering the statue/Anubis, to be the smoke monster as well. I'm still regarding them separately, especially after seeing them in that picture Ben saw on the wall under the temple wall.

As for Ben getting Widmore off the island, as far as I could understand it seems that Ben summoned the smoke monster, and the smoke monster judged Widmore, exiling him from the island. What he was being judged for is what confused me. I know Ben and Widmore were having adverse opinions on what the island wants; Ben says the island wouldn't want to kill baby Alex, Widmore wants baby Alex dead. Yet Ben also mentions on the dock before Widmore is taken off island that Widmore had been off island frequently and had a daughter off island also. Do we know who Penny's mom is? Either way I am not sure which actions Widmore was being judged for. But I think it was the smoke monster's judgment that led to Widmore's exile, and Widmore holds Ben to blame."
That is what I thought. Also, I was wondering if Ben killed Penny or their baby?
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
59. RE: Statue
Apr 9 2009, 6:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 6:11 PM EDT
"That is what I thought. Also, I was wondering if Ben killed Penny or their baby?"
I don't think he did. For one Desmond got a hold of him, beat him up and threw him in the water. This would give Desmond and Penny time to get away with Charlie, while Ben regathered himself. Also, after seeing Charlie, Ben sort of waivered. I think he was even lowering his gun at the point Desmond jumped on him. Some reason, I don't think Ben would have been able to bring himself to kill her after seeing the baby with or without Desmond's presense and beating Ben down.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  | Next > Last